Please support “06880” — thanks!
Subscribe to ‘06880’ in a reader
SEARCH THE “06880” ARCHIVES
- Ralph Balducci on COVID Roundup: No Camp Compo Or RECing Crew; Antibodies And Masks; More
- Elaine Marino on Bill Vornkahl’s Memorial Day: The Sequel
- Jeff Wieser on Once Homeless, Comedian Stands Up For Homes With Hope
- Ellen Naftalin on Memorial Day 2020
- Clifford Sosin on COVID Roundup: No Camp Compo Or RECing Crew; Antibodies And Masks; More
- COVID Roundup: No Camp Compo Or RECing Crew; Antibodies And Masks; More
- Once Homeless, Comedian Stands Up For Homes With Hope
- Quaranteen: Young Voices Heard, In Challenging Times
- Pics Of The Day #1134
- Memorial Day: One More GI Story
- Bill Vornkahl’s Memorial Day: The Sequel
- COVID Roundup: “Parade”; “Taps”; Restaurant Info; Kelli O’Hara; More
- Memorial Day 2020
- There’s No Parade. But We Still Have Bill Vornkahl’s Poem.
- Memorial Day: A Service Member Speaks
Bored? Wander through ‘06880’
- Friday Flashback
- Local business
- Local politics
- Looking back
- Photo Challenge
- Pic of the Day
- Real estate
- Staples HS
- Street Spotlight
- Totally random
- Unsung Heroes
- Westport Country Playhouse
- Westport life
DISCLAIMERThis blog is personal opinion, and is not representative of the views of the Westport School District or Board of Education.
Tag Archives: Compo Cove
I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating: “06880” readers are good.
I was sure that last week’s Photo Challenge would stump almost everyone. Susan Ross’ image showed a flip-flop, tea cup, cameo jewelry, and random other, less identifiable objects. (Click here for the photo.)
It was colorful. But how could anyone identify it?
Almost immediately, Seth Schachter did.
He was followed, rapid-fire, by Jennifer Kobetitsch, Betsy Kahn, Sarah Halevi, India Penney, Julie McMahon, Tina Green, Luke Garvey, Michelle Vitulich, Leslie Petersen, Polly Temple, Darcy Sledge and J. Seideman.
All nailed it: The mosaic surrounding one of the parking garages behind the houses on Old Mill Beach. It’s just to the left of the first footbridge heading to Compo Cove.
I know the bridges and walking paths between Sherwood Mill Pond and Long Island Sound are a popular — if hidden — Westport gem.
But the parking garages are off to the side, little noticed, even obscure. And the mosaic is at the end of the lot. Most people’s attention is focused on the water.
At least, that’s what I thought.
Congratulations to our eagle-eyed readers. A special shout-out to Betsy Kahn — a gifted photographer herself — who added this information about the artist, Claudia Schattman:
“She is one of the coolest artists in town. And people can hire her for special mosaics, pottery and photography. She does installations with all mediums and sizes.”
This week’s Photo Challenge is far less colorful. Will it be as easy? If you know where in Westport you’d see this, click “Comments” below.
Hundreds — perhaps thousands — of dead fish washed up yesterday at Old Mill Beach and Compo Cove.
Health authorities and Harbor Watch are investigating.
The other day, Robin Tauck counted 12 terrapin turtle nests on the beach at Compo Cove. Each nesting site has dozens of turtle eggs. Robin worries that walls on nearby properties confuse the mothers, making it difficult to find a place to nest.