Please support “06880” — thanks!
Click here to help support “06880” via credit card or PayPal. Any amount is welcome — and appreciated! Reader contributions keep this blog going. (Alternate methods: Please send a check to: Dan Woog, 301 Post Road East, Westport, CT 06880. Or use Venmo: @DanWoog06880. Or Zelle: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!)
SUBSCRIBE TO '06880' BY EMAIL -- IT'S FREE!
SEARCH THE “06880” ARCHIVES
- Gloria Gouveia on Pic Of The Day #1612
- Werner Liepolt on Roundup: Auto Thefts, Christian Siriano, Kids Are Talking …
- Susan Gold Falkenstein on Stephanie Bass’ Driveway Showcase
- Iain Bruce on Roundup: Auto Thefts, Christian Siriano, Kids Are Talking …
- Josh Stein on Roundup: Auto Thefts, Christian Siriano, Kids Are Talking …
- Pic Of The Day #1612
- Roundup: Auto Thefts, Christian Siriano, Kids Are Talking …
- Stephanie Bass’ Driveway Showcase
- Pic Of The Day #1611
- Unsung Hero #207
- Roundup: Officer Honors, American Relay, Rach’s Hope …
- Remembering Bob Manere
- Westport Steps Up For Afghan Refugees
- Pic Of The Day #1610
- Roundup: Stolen Bench, Porchables, Partrick …
Bored? Wander through ‘06880’
- Friday Flashback
- Local business
- Local politics
- Looking back
- Photo Challenge
- Pic of the Day
- Question Box
- Real estate
- Staples HS
- Street Spotlight
- Totally random
- Unsung Heroes
- Westport Country Playhouse
- Westport life
DISCLAIMERThis blog is personal opinion, and is not representative of the views of the Westport School District or Board of Education.
Tag Archives: Saugatuck River railroad bridge
Most Friday Flashbacks show how much our town changes over the years.
This one demonstrates how much it stays the same.
The aerial photo of the I-95 and railroad bridges seems like it could have been taken yesterday. In fact, it’s from 1977 — more than 40 years ago.
There’s something very familiar and reassuring about this shot.
Time marches on. But some parts of Westport are timeless.
(Hat tip: Seth Schachter)
A dozen “06880” readers knew exactly where last week’s photo challenge was.
They just couldn’t agree on how to describe its location.
Patricia McMahon’s image showed the badly corroded trestles of the railroad bridge that crosses the Saugatuck River near the train station. Some described it as Ferry Lane. Others called it Railroad Place. One just said it was near Donut Crazy.
Hey, Seth Schachter, Bob Knoebel, Jay Tormey, Peter Hirst, Seth Goltzer, Scott Brodie, Wendy Cusick, Dominique Dwor-Frecaut, Michael Brennecke, Andrew Colabella, Suzanne Tager Obsitnik and Seth Braunstein — you’re all right! It seems Ferry Lane West turns into Railroad Place right under the bridge.
Which, by the way, sorely needs a name. Any suggestions? (Click here to see the photo of the bridge you’re naming.)
Now: Can you name this week’s photo challenge? If you know where in Westport you’d see this, click “Comments” below.