Earlier this month, Karin Kessler challenged “06880” readers to describe America’s current situation.
In just 6 words.
The owner of Backspace — the typewriter/writing shop on Church Street South, behind Little Barn — loves the written word, and interacting with customers. This was a good way to combine both.
But she was more interested in hearing what we all have to see. People could write their 6 words at home, and post them on social media. They could even do it the old-fashioned way: by e-mail.
Responses poured in.
Here, in no particular order — because that sure is America today* — is what we’re thinking.
- First generation American….with Caribbean heart!
- Trump celebrates Hanukkah. Jewish suffering continues.
- Tear gas our tired and our poor?
- Stirring the pot doesn’t always emulsify
- One flag for two parties. United.
- Where do we go from here?
- I love my country, food, family.
- “Me too,” I could finally say.
- On couch, should go to bed.
- Bipartisan meeting scheduled; no one showed.
- She lost and the world changed.
- Think about John Peter Zenger’s actions.
- Comity, please; enmity doesn’t work.
- US is for people, not party!
- Freedom of the press equals Democracy
- Red state, Blue state . . . purple people
- Our children. Why care? Different party.
- America’s destiny? It’s up to us.
- You need me on that wall.
- Definitely the Founding Fathers hated tyrants.
- Red. White. Blue. All for You.
- White Nationalism in America Must End
- They came, worked hard and succeeded.
- Neoliberal stenographers, few left, type right.
- We’re divided; what’s profile of each?
- This I know: we’re all interconnected.
- African DNA results for white nationalist.
- Their job, to overlook. They did.
- Some people don’t follow directions.
- His impeachment due to corrupt actions.
- Close eyes, deep breath, relax now
- He destroyed her soul with avarice.
- Repeat Plan A until you succeed
- Kindness fosters love. Love creates miracles.
- Don’t waste energy despairing. Organize! Vote!
- Looking intently for a way out.
- Trust thy neighbor not thy politician.
- It was your heartlessness, she said.
- She voted for hope and won.
- Unfuck America before be too late.
*That’s my own 6-word contribution