Today’s weather was not as wild as New York’s.
Still, it was pretty bad. And very wet.
This was the scene where Stony Brook Creek rushes out of Nash’s Pond, on its way to the Saugatuck River.
Despite a high tide (and near full moon) earlier, it did not overflow its banks. It’s a well looked-after dam and waterway, reports Dan Nash.
(Photo/Jo Shields Sherman)
Stony Brook flows into Nash’s Pond, at Blind Brook Road South. (Photo/Neva Alsheik)
Reflections on the lake at Mayflower Parkway at Richard Drive … (Photo/Amy Schneider)
… and Nash’s Pond (Photo/Linda Stern)
Nash’s Pond (Photo/Linda Stern)
The manmade structure looks like the old telephone switching station on Myrtle Avenue, opposite Sconset Square. Deadman’s Brook flows past it.
But readers who thought that was the answer to last week’s Photo Challenge did not look closely, at the waterfall in the background.
There’s no waterfall near downtown. But there is at one end of Nash’s Pond. Peter Tulupman’s photo showed he spillway near the dam and former icehouse, at Kings Highway North. (Click here to see.)
From there the water flows as Stony Brook, underneath Post Road West. It re-emerges at Sylvan Road and Riverside Avenue, where it empties into the Saugatuck River.
Elaine Marino, Diane Silfen, Jalna Jaeger, Eric Bosch, Bobbie Herman, Wendy Cusick, Dave Brown, Dave Eason, Lynn Untermeyer Miller and Derek Fuchs all knew the Nash’s Pond answer.
So did Kristan M. Nash. Then again, she should!
Can she — or anyone — guess this week’s Photo Challenge? If you know where in Westport it is, click “Comments.”
This morning’s post about Kid Gloves — the boxing gym where heavyweight boxer Floyd Patterson once trained — offered a fascinating look back at a brief, forgotten piece of Westport history.
It also contained one error. The Nash’s Barn building on Kings Highway North — behind what was once the Small Car Company, and most recently was Dragone Classic Motorcars — was not torn down.
The Revolutionary War-era structure still stands. It’s now home to Nice Threads, a custom logo-wear and promotional products company.
Nash’s Barn today … (Photo/Kris Nash)
The owner is Tim Nash — a descendant of the original property owner (for whom the nearby pond is also named). The family has owned the barn since 1784.
The barn has undergone many incarnations. Thanks to the stewardship of the Nash family, it will likely see many more.
… and in 1952.
(Hat tips: John Terpening and Kris Nash)
Compo Beach, in this morning’s snow … (Photo/Patricia McMahon)
… and Nash’s Pond (Photo/Katherine Bruan)
… and Ford Road (Photo/Michael Tomashefsky)
This morning’s spectacular sunrise, as seen from Nash’s Pond … (Photo/Tricia Freeman)
… and looking out over Compo Cove … (Photo/Matt Murray)
… and Cross Highway (Photo/Mark Yurkiw)