Please support “06880” — thanks!
Subscribe to ‘06880’ in a reader
SEARCH THE “06880” ARCHIVES
- Pics Of The Day #1205 (Isaias Edition)
- Storm Damage On Sterling Lane
- Storm Moves Away — But 92% Of Town Without Power
- Isaias Is Here
- Board Of Ed Nears School Reopening Decision
- Roundup: Primary Day Workers, Farmers’ Market For Kids, Navigating College During COVID, More
- Tornado Watch Issued For Westport
- Woman Makes Her Mark In a Man’s World
- Pic Of The Day #1204
- Town Officials: Prepare For Isaias
Bored? Wander through ‘06880’
- Friday Flashback
- Local business
- Local politics
- Looking back
- Photo Challenge
- Pic of the Day
- Real estate
- Staples HS
- Street Spotlight
- Totally random
- Unsung Heroes
- Westport Country Playhouse
- Westport life
DISCLAIMERThis blog is personal opinion, and is not representative of the views of the Westport School District or Board of Education.
Tag Archives: I-95 bridge
Tomorrow is Leap Day.
Today’s Friday Flashback honors another kind of leap.
Since its construction in the mid-1950s, the Saugatuck River I-95 bridge — back then, it was called “The Connecticut Turnpike” or “Thruway” — has been the scene of very occasional (and daring) (and stupid) leaps.
Startled drinkers at the Black Duck bar — and before it, Davy Jones’ — have watched teenage and 20-something guys (it’s always males) land in the water nearby.
“06880” does not recommend this. The jump is spectacularly dangerous. And who in his right mind would even think of standing on the side of the bridge, with traffic whizzing by?
Nevertheless, if you have a story about leaping off this bridge — or any other one in Westport — click “Comments” below.
Feel free to comment too with any non-bridge Leap Year stories of your own.