When I launched “06880” 10 years ago this week, I had 2 fears:
- No one would read it, and
- I’d very quickly run out of stories.
A decade later, the news is good.
I now have 10,000 daily readers.
I have not run out of stories. There’s actually so much stuff out there, I post 2 to 5 times a day.
In fact, in 10 years of publishing “06880,” I have never missed a day. That’s far better than the US government.
A lot has happened in the decade since I first hurled “06880” into cyberspace.
We have rebuilt Saugatuck, built Bedford Square, and are building a bathroom on South Beach.We have weathered a recession, and survived some really nasty weather. (Power went out during Irene, Sandy and many other storms, but “06880” kept readers out of the dark.)
This happened too, over the past 10 years: “06880” has become, basically, my full-time job.
I never expected that. I now spend up to 6 hours a day on this blog.
You see the stories I write. But there’s so much more. I conduct interviews and research. I take, find and edit photos. (You think the Pic of the Day just falls from the sky?).
I moderate all comments — keeping the tone civil, making sure folks use their real names, responding when necessary.
I answer every single email. I’m glad readers write me directly. But boy, you’ve got a ton of obscure questions, random thoughts and story suggestions (both sublime and ridiculous).
I’ve cut back on much of my outside writing to focus on “06880.” Meanwhile, I spend my own money on it. I pay for domain mapping. For software upgrades. And — have you noticed? — I pay to keep it ad-free.
Which means it is more imperative than ever that, as I put out my tin cup — er, make my annual appeal for donations — “06880” readers come through.
Of those 10,000 daily readers, only a very small percentage contribute each year. I am extremely grateful to you 🙂 But that means the rest of you enjoy my 1,200+ stories a year, and our wonderful online community — for free.
So: If you like what you read, please consider supporting “06880.” Scroll down — details at the bottom!
Am I worth $1 a month? $1 a week? Perhaps (my choice!) $1 a day.
Or — for my 10th anniversary — think in multiples of 10. I’ll leave the math to you.
I hope that if “06880” has ever
- made you laugh, cry, think or wonder
- spurred you to go to an event, read a book, try a restaurant or patronize a store
- helped you meet a neighbor, or connect with an old friend
- kept you up to date in a blizzard, hurricane, windstorm or power outage
- made you feel connected to your new town (or the place you grew up)
- alerted you to a new housing or zoning development
- provided a forum for you to rant about an issue, rave about a place, or complain about my own personal politics
- delivered news about a favorite person, place or thing
- galvanized you to support a cause
- publicized your event, book, appearance or concert
- published your photo
- honored someone you loved or admired
- connected you to your hometown from many miles away
- saved you time or money
- opened a window on Westport’s history, helped you think about its future, introduced you to someone in town you never knew, or helped you look at someone or someplace in a new way
- inspired you
- made you sit up and say “Wow!” (or “Holy f—!”)
— you will consider tossing something my way. First-time supporters are joyfully welcomed!
Thanks for 10 great years. I’ll keep doing what I’m doing, whether anyone sends an anniversary gift or not.
We’ll still have our summer “06880” party at the beach. And I’ll still cover both the beauty and the changes of Compo.
It’s all part of “06880.” It’s my honor and privilege to help share it with you.
You can donate by PayPal: click here. It’s easy, safe — and you don’t even need a PayPal account. If you get an error message, go to www.PayPal.com; then log in (or create an account), and send money from the dropdown menu by entering this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or click the “Donate” button on the home page of “06880.”
Checks can be mailed to: Dan Woog, 301 Post Road East, Westport, CT 06880. Put “06880” on the memo line. It won’t do anything for the IRS, but it may help you remember at tax time why you sent me something.
I’m also on Venmo: @DanWoog06880. Thank you!