Please support “06880” — thanks!
Click here to help support “06880” via credit card or PayPal. Any amount is welcome, appreciated — and tax-deductible! Reader contributions keep this blog going. (Alternate methods: Please send a check to “06880”: PO Box 744, Westport, CT 06881. Or use Venmo: @blog06880. Or Zelle: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!)
SUBSCRIBE TO '06880' BY EMAIL -- IT'S FREE!Join 12,877 other subscribers
SEARCH THE “06880” ARCHIVES
- Jo Shields on Pic Of The Day #2238
- Peter Barlow on Pic Of The Day #2238
- Susan Huppi on Pic Of The Day #2238
- Werner Liepolt on Parker Harding Cut-Through: Not So Fast
- Morley Boyd on Parker Harding Cut-Through: Not So Fast
- Pic Of The Day #2238
- Roundup: Luke Rosenberg, Hiro Wyatt, Rebecca Schussheim …
- Online Art Gallery #164
- Parker Harding Cut-Through: Not So Fast
- Pic Of The Day #2237
- Friday Flashback #350
- Roundup: High Honors, Restaurant News, Playhouse Tours …
- A Westport Window On The Podcast World
- Pics Of The Day #2236
- Roundup: Rainbow Crosswalk, WFM Grow-a-Row; DTC Candidates …
Bored? Wander through ‘06880’
- Friday Flashback
- Local business
- Local politics
- Looking back
- Photo Challenge
- Pic of the Day
- Question Box
- Real estate
- Staples HS
- Street Spotlight
- Totally random
- Unsung Heroes
- Westport Country Playhouse
- Westport life
- Celebrate Westport (town calendar)
- Dan Woog.com
- Finding Westport
- MoCA Westport
- Our Town Crier
- Photography in my Life (Katherine Hooper)
- Preserve Westport
- Prill Boyle’s Defying Gravity
- Westport Journal
- Westport Local Press
- Westport News
- Westport Weston Chamber of Commerce
Pic Of The Day #2178
This entry was posted in Pic of the Day, Totally random and tagged pay phone, Sherwood Diner. Bookmark the permalink.
Phone? How could watch TikTok videos on this? I’m sure some younger folks would wonder how we survived back then.
Wait … shouldn’t this be an EV charging station at this point! 😉 But, jokes aside … just seeing this existing in the landscape is just soooo “Back to the Future” trippy!
Plus, can one just IMAGINE the germs we all shared, using those phones back then? I guess post-pandemic (ish) has me thinking a whole new way about … well, EVERYTHING! LOL
Around 1991, an attorney friend of mine, who grew up in Westport, suggested to me that we buy the pay phones in Grand Central Station in Manhattan. We crunched the numbers, talked about it, but did nothing. If I did that, I would be cleaning the toilets in Grand Central Station to make up for my massive losses!
I believe the one at exit 42 of the Merritt does not contain a phone
Went looking for a payphone in Westport 13 years ago. At the time there was this one and one in McDonalds. Neither one worked back then, don’t that they work now.
“ Mama I broke down can you come and get me”!!!
Charles, It’s Ma. When I was your age, I’d walk 7 miles in the snow to get to school. You can do it son. I’ll see you in three hours. And take off your shoes before you come in the house.