TEAM Westport — the town’s multicultural commission — says:
TEAM Westport and the partnership of the Interfaith Council, Westport Library and Westport Country Playhouse extend our staunchest solidarity with and heartfelt embrace of our town’s Asian-American and Pacific Islander community.
That solidarity and embrace are matched only by the depth of our outrage over the rising tide of AAPI racism and violence, capped by the unspeakable murders in Atlanta last week. Both the first selectman and superintendent of schools have issued statements for the town and school system.
Our work over the past few years has been focused on dismantling the centuries-old legacies of layered racism and supremacy which have led us to this current circumstance. As such, our involvement with both the advent of the Equity Study mentioned by the superintendent, and the ongoing antiracism conversations mentioned by the first selectman, make it clear that this should be a time for focused reflection with our AAPI community.
Please join us for these upcoming events today (Wednesday, March 24) and next Wednesday (March 31). We will hold space for our AAPI friends and community members for times of sharing and exploration regarding racism and its impact on each of us here in Westport and nationwide.
- Wednesday, March 24, 7 p.m: Community Focus on Anti-AAPI Racism (Virtual Event):
- Forum hosted by:
- Harold Bailey (Chair, TEAM Westport)
- Alison Patton (Pastor, Saugatuck Congregational Church)
- Jenny Nelson (Director of education and community Engagement, Westport Country Playhouse)
- Bernicestine McLeod Bailey (TEAM Westport)
- Join the discussion for solidarity and reflection on the rising tide of AAPI racism and violence. All are welcome.
- Learn more and register through The Westport Library:
- [Note: The originally planned 4 sessions on “Me and White Supremacy”: The Challenge Continues have been postponed to (April 7 and 21, and May 5 and 19)].
- Forum hosted by:
- Wednesday, March 31, 7 p.m. (Virtual Event):
- TEAM Westport Schools Work Group. Join us for our next Schools Workgroup meeting. We will continue our discussion of white supremacy culture and how it shows up in our community, focusing on the recent tragedies against AAPI and Anti-Asian hate. All are welcome.
- This is a Zoom meeting through the Westport Library: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84428376997?pwd=WlZOaks3a2JKZHEwMUZrd1RuVTR5UT09
- Meeting ID: 844 2837 6997; Passcode: 048473,