364 days a year, “06880” chugs along quietly.
A few times each day, I post something: a 5 a.m. feature story. Breaking news. A roundup of upcoming events, new business openings, whatever. An Unsung Hero, Friday Flashback or Photo Challenge. Every night at 9, a Pic of the Day.
I do it all as my contribution to Westport. One day a year, I ask you for a contribution to “06880.”
I do it on the anniversary of my blog’s birth. It began in early March, 2009. In 12 years I have not missed a day of posting — ever.
Last year’s “please contribute” story came 10 days before Westport changed forever.
When our schools, stores, restaurants, library, Y — and everything else — shut down, I worried I would have nothing to write about.
For the past year, I’ve worked harder and longer at “06880” than ever. I’ve written about how to get COVID help, and how to help others. The pandemic’s effect on people, businesses, the town and the world. I began the daily Roundup and Saturday art gallery.
When WestportNow folded, I added obituaries and a bit of meeting coverage. I hope to do more.
“06880” is now, pretty much, my full-time gig. I spend nearly every waking hour working for you.
You see the stories I write. But there’s so much more.
I conduct interviews and research. I take, find and edit photos. I moderate the comments section. I answer every single email.
When a natural disaster like Tropical Storm Isaias hits, I find a place with power to work. And I keep working.
I even spend my own money on “06880,” on software upgrades, hosting — and keeping this space ad-free.
Which is why this year, more than ever, I hope you will respond to my once-a-year appeal for donations.
I’m honored that more than 11,000 of you are daily (free!) subscribers. Another 5,000 to 8,000 check in each day, without subscribing.
I love you all. But only a small percentage of you contribute each year.
That means the vast majority of you enjoy my 1,200+ stories a year, and our wonderful online community, for free. You are, to use the technical term, moochers.
So: If you like what you read, please consider supporting “06880.” Click here for details (via credit card, check, Venmo or PayPal) — or scroll to the bottom.
Am I worth $1 a month? $1 a week? Perhaps (my choice!) $1 a day. Choose whatever amount you’re comfortable with. It’s greatly appreciated!
I hope that if “06880” has ever:
- made you laugh, cry, think or wonder
- spurred you to go to an event, read a book, try a restaurant or patronize a store
- helped you meet a neighbor, or connect with an old friend
- kept you up to date in a blizzard, hurricane, windstorm or power outage
- made you feel connected to your new town (or the place you grew up)
- alerted you to a new housing or zoning development
- provided a forum for you to rant about an issue, rave about a place, or complain about my own personal politics
- delivered news about a favorite person, place or thing
- galvanized you to support a cause
- publicized your event, book, appearance or concert
- published your photo
- honored someone you loved or admired, or gave them a kind “Remembering …” sendoff
- connected you to your hometown from many miles away
- saved you time or money
- opened a window on Westport’s history, helped you think about its future, introduced you to someone in town you never knew, or helped you look at someone or someplace in a new way
- inspired you
- made you sit up and say “Wow!” (or “Holy f—!”)
you will consider tossing something my way. First-time supporters are joyfully welcomed!
Thanks for 12 great years. I’ll keep doing what I’m doing, whether anyone sends an anniversary gift or not. I’ll still answer every email.
It’s all part of “06880.” It’s my honor and privilege to help share it with you.
You can donate by PayPal or credit card: click here. It’s easy, safe — and you don’t even need a PayPal account.
Checks can be mailed to: Dan Woog, 301 Post Road East, Westport, CT 06880. Put “06880” on the memo line. It won’t do anything for the IRS, but it may help you remember at tax time why you sent me something.
I’m also on Venmo: @DanWoog06880. Thank you!