Eleven years ago this week, Barack Obama was just beginning his presidency. Harvey Weinstein was sitting happily atop the Hollywood world.
And I unleashed “06880” on the world.
A lot has happened since. For example, President Obama visited Harvey Weinstein’s house here.
And I’ve churned out over 10,000 stories. Each is true to the tagline: “Where Westport meets the world.”
Save the ospreys? Check.
Report the closing of Westport Pizzeria, and the happenings at the Westport Historical Society? Check, check.
Entertain with Pics of the Day, honor Unsung Heroes, flash back every Friday? Check, check check.
I’ve lasted longer than President Obama. I hope and pray I’ll last longer than President Trump.
Plus, I don’t take golfing vacations. In 11 years, I have never missed a day of posting.
Speaking of which, I don’t take government subsidies. I didn’t build a wall. (A paywall — hold your fire.)
But slowly, somehow, over the years “06880” has become, basically, my full-time job. I spent up to 6 hours a day on this blog.
You see the stories I write. But there’s much more. I conduct interviews and research. I take, find and edit photos. (You think the Pic of the Day just falls from the sky?)
I moderate all comments. I keep the tone civil, make sure folks use real names, and toss out trolls.
I answer every single email. I’m glad readers write me directly. But I get up to 100 story suggestions, random thoughts and obscure questions a day. I respond to them all.
I even spend my own money on “06880.” I pay for software upgrades and domain mapping. And — perhaps you’ve noticed? — I pay to keep this space ad-free.
Which means it is more imperative than ever that, as I put out my tin cup — aka make my annual appeal for donations — “06880” readers come through.
Last month, I reached 10,000 daily subscribers. Another 5,000 to 8,000 readers check in per day, without subscribing.
Yet only a very small percentage contribute each year. I am extremely grateful to you 🙂
That means the vast majority of you enjoy my 1,200+ stories a year, and our wonderful online community, for free. You are, to use the technical term, “moochers.”
So: If you like what you read, please consider supporting “06880.” Click here for details (via credit card, check, Venmo or PayPal) — or scroll to the bottom.
Am I worth $1 a month? $1 a week? Perhaps (my choice!)) $1 a day. It’s a free country (for a while, anyway). Choose whatever amount you’re comfortable with. It’s greatly appreciated!
I hope that if “06880” has ever:
- made you laugh, cry, think or wonder
- spurred you to go to an event, read a book, try a restaurant or patronize a store
- helped you meet a neighbor, or connect with an old friend
- kept you up to date in a blizzard, hurricane, windstorm or power outage
- made you feel connected to your new town (or the place you grew up)
- alerted you to a new housing or zoning development
- provided a forum for you to rant about an issue, rave about a place, or complain about my own personal politics
- delivered news about a favorite person, place or thing
- galvanized you to support a cause
- publicized your event, book, appearance or concert
- published your photo
- honored someone you loved or admired, or gave them a kind “Remembering …” sendoff
- connected you to your hometown from many miles away
- saved you time or money
- opened a window on Westport’s history, helped you think about its future, introduced you to someone in town you never knew, or helped you look at someone or someplace in a new way
- inspired you
- made you sit up and say “Wow!” (or “Holy f—!”)
you will consider tossing something my way. First-time supporters are joyfully welcomed!
Thanks for 11 great years. I’ll keep doing what I’m doing, whether anyone sends an anniversary gift or not.
We’ll still have our summer “06880” party at the beach. I’ll still answer every email.
It’s all part of “06880.” It’s my honor and privilege to help share it with you.
You can donate by PayPal or credit card: click here. It’s easy, safe — and you don’t even need a PayPal account.
Checks can be mailed to: Dan Woog, 301 Post Road East, Westport, CT 06880. Put “06880” on the memo line. It won’t do anything for the IRS, but it may help you remember at tax time why you sent me something.
I’m also on Venmo: @DanWoog06880. Thank you!