As summer winds down, this week’s Unsung Heroes is a no-brainer.
Everyone — and there’s a ton — who made this year’s Compo, Burying Hill and Old Mill Beach and Longshore experiences so wonderful: Take a bow!
If you are a:
- Parks & Recreation maintenance worker, who cleans up our messes so conscientiously and professionally
- Parks & Rec gate attendant, who waves us in, collects our fees and deals so smilingly with a not-always-smiling public
- Parks & Rec Department staffer or Commission member, who helped shepherd the new improvements (South Beach sidewalk and bathroom, new tables and grills) through from conception to completion
- Lifeguard, who keeps us safe, provides first aid, reunites lost kids with panicked parents, and endured a few very boring days in the chair watching the water when the beaches were closed (special shout-out to directors Heidi List Murphy and Danilo Sierra)
- Marina worker (and of course Westport Police marine unit member), who do so much good stuff the public seldom sees
- Joey Romeo or part of his youthful “By the Shore” staff at Compo and Longshore, who serve great food and never get mad even when we have no idea what to order despite standing in line for 10 minutes thinking about it
- Longshore golf course, tennis court or pool attendant, who we see every day, in all kinds of weather and seldom even nod to
- Early-morning employee like Drew Grega, who grooms the beach so well and unobtrusively we never even know you’re there …
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
It would not have been a wonderful Westport summer without you.
PS: I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone. If I have — aaargh! Just add those Unsung Heroes in the “Comments” section.
(To nominate an Unsung Hero, email firstname.lastname@example.org)