Subscribe to ‘06880’ in a reader
Please support “06880” — thanks!
SEARCH THE “06880” ARCHIVES
- Dan Woog on In Dark Days, A Wonderful Wedding
- Anne Marie on In Dark Days, A Wonderful Wedding
- Susan Iseman on Pics Of The Day #1076
- Janine Scotti on COVID-19 Roundup: Winslow Park Rules; Virtual Bingo Helps Non-Profits; Keep Your Distance!; Restaurant, Retail News; More
- Dan Woog on COVID-19 Roundup: Winslow Park Rules; Virtual Bingo Helps Non-Profits; Keep Your Distance!; Restaurant, Retail News; More
- US Census Counts On You!
- Livio Sanchez’s “American Portrait”
- Pics Of The Day #1076
- COVID-19 Roundup: Winslow Park Rules; Virtual Bingo Helps Non-Profits; Keep Your Distance!; Restaurant, Retail News; More
- 0*6*Art*Art*0 — Week 2 Gallery
- Science Olympians Confront Virus
- Pic Of The Day #1075
- COVID-19 Roundup: Arlen Road Neighbors; Old Mill Parking Lot Closed; “Distance Learning” Help For Parents; Driving School Open; More
- Friday Flashback #186
- Persona Of The Day: Candice Savin
Bored? Wander through ‘06880’
- Friday Flashback
- Local business
- Local politics
- Looking back
- Photo Challenge
- Pic of the Day
- Real estate
- Staples HS
- Street Spotlight
- Totally random
- Unsung Heroes
- Westport Country Playhouse
- Westport life
DISCLAIMERThis blog is personal opinion, and is not representative of the views of the Westport School District or Board of Education.
Tag Archives: Burying Hill Beach
Posted on March 14, 2020
First selectman Jim Marpe says:
First of all, thank you to all our Westport residents for your cooperation during these unprecedented times.
Many of you have self-isolated in order to flatten the curve and curb the spread of COVID-19. I appreciate your actions.
Unfortunately, we believe you will need to do even more for the foreseeable future. Given the early spring-like weather, many of you have taken advantage of our beautiful Compo Beach and have congregated there.
We must remind you that congregating, even outdoors, in small or large groups, is contradictory to the advice of our Health Department leadership.
As a practical matter, we cannot close the entire access to Compo Beach. However, we will be closing the playground at Compo Beach and the parking lots at Compo Beach and Burying Hill beach until further notice.
Whether you are using the beaches or just trying to get out of the house for a while, please do everything you can to practice social distancing and self-isolation.
Together we can minimize the impact of this terrible virus on our community. We have to work together and use common sense. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in these difficult times.
Posted on February 19, 2020
Beaches and water in winter, by drone — thank you, Brandon Malin!
Posted on August 21, 2019
As summer winds down, this week’s Unsung Heroes is a no-brainer.
Everyone — and there’s a ton — who made this year’s Compo, Burying Hill and Old Mill Beach and Longshore experiences so wonderful: Take a bow!
If you are a:
- Parks & Recreation maintenance worker, who cleans up our messes so conscientiously and professionally
- Parks & Rec gate attendant, who waves us in, collects our fees and deals so smilingly with a not-always-smiling public
- Parks & Rec Department staffer or Commission member, who helped shepherd the new improvements (South Beach sidewalk and bathroom, new tables and grills) through from conception to completion
- Lifeguard, who keeps us safe, provides first aid, reunites lost kids with panicked parents, and endured a few very boring days in the chair watching the water when the beaches were closed (special shout-out to directors Heidi List Murphy and Danilo Sierra)
- Marina worker (and of course Westport Police marine unit member), who do so much good stuff the public seldom sees
- Joey Romeo or part of his youthful “By the Shore” staff at Compo and Longshore, who serve great food and never get mad even when we have no idea what to order despite standing in line for 10 minutes thinking about it
- Longshore golf course, tennis court or pool attendant, who we see every day, in all kinds of weather and seldom even nod to
- Early-morning employee like Drew Grega, who grooms the beach so well and unobtrusively we never even know you’re there …
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
It would not have been a wonderful Westport summer without you.
PS: I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone. If I have — aaargh! Just add those Unsung Heroes in the “Comments” section.
(To nominate an Unsung Hero, email email@example.com)
Posted on August 8, 2019
The skies over Westport darkened ominously — and beautifully — tonight. “06880” readers were ready with their cameras.
Here’s the scene at Compo Beach …
… and sailing into Cedar Point …
… and at Burying Hill: