Staples High School students take a heavy course load. Local graduation requirements are even more onerous than state ones.
Yet our teenagers also participate in clubs; play music and sports; act; volunteer in the community, and hold jobs.
Somehow, some of them even find time to create jewelry, clothing, artwork, greeting cards and more.
This Sunday (May 21, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saugatuck Rowing Club), the public gets a chance to see some of their most creative work.
And buy it.
The Westport Youth Commission is sponsoring a 1st-ever Student Creation Faire.
Here’s some of what you’ll find:
- Hillary O’Neill’s unique, hand-made terrariums
- Leigha Dear and Kate McCrohan’s necklaces and tie-dyes
- Grace Shi and Amanda Cohen’s “bath bombs”
- Mia Krishnamurthy’s customized necklaces, chokers, bracelets and anklets
- Matteo Broccolo and Sophia Livecchi’s original design t-shirts and hoodies
- Ellie Shapiro’s hand-drawn greeting, birthday and thank-you cards
- Aishah Avdiu’s curated kombucha
- Brody Braunstein’s customized shoes
- Elizabeth Rhoads’ custom tees
- Sebastian Avila’s oil paintings
- Abby Suppan’s macrame wall hangings
- Bianca Bicalho’s handmade jewelry
- Zoe Barnett and Kai Dasbach’s woven bracelets, beaded necklaces and rings
- Julie Kaplan’s jewelry
- Channing Smith’s unique, trendy college logowear
- Marta Clanton’s custom crochet products
There’s entertainment too, plus catering by the Boathouse restaurant.
It’s a special event — this Sunday only.
Because on Monday, our teenagers go back to work.