Downtown Fire Disaster Averted

Quick work by the Westport Fire Department — with help from Wilton and Norwalk — averted a major disaster last night.

Flames poured from rooftop HVAC equipment atop the building housing Starbucks and HSBC Bank (the original Westport Library), on the Post Road  between Main Street and Parker Harding Plaza.

The Post Road was closed while firefighters battled the blaze, reported shortly after 10 p.m. Damage was limited to the roof.

Many units responded to last night's fire at Starbucks and HSBC Bank. (Photo/Westport Fire Department)

Many units responded to last night’s fire at Starbucks and HSBC Bank. (Photo/Westport Fire Department)

Downtown has been the scene of several major fires — to a furniture store, the Townly restaurant and Sconset Square — though none in recent decades.

Main Street was also the scene of a fire in 1950 that wiped out housing where a number of black men and women, who worked in Westport homes and businesses — lived. That area is now Bobby Q’s restaurant. Click here for that fascinating — and lost — piece of Westport history.

Flames shoot up from the downtown building's HVAC unit. (Photo/Westport Fire Department)

Flames shoot up from the downtown building’s HVAC unit. (Photo/Westport Fire Department)

(Hat tip: Daniel Brill)

8 responses to “Downtown Fire Disaster Averted

  1. Holly Wheeler

    Don’t forget Manero’s.

  2. Diane silfen

    How many remember the Compo Shopping center fire? Long ago

  3. As for “none in recent years,” Dan, you know better. See Saugatuck Church, Nov. 20, 2011.

    http://www.westport-news.com/news/article/Huge-fire-at-Saugatuck-Congregational-Church-2279775.php#photo-1773433

  4. Joyce Barnhart

    And the fire in the old Klaff’s store block. Anybody remember the year?

  5. Probably more activity than the HSBC branch sees in a typical month. This pathetic bank has very few customers!