Please support “06880” — thanks!
Click here to help support “06880” via credit card or PayPal. Any amount is welcome — and appreciated! Reader contributions keep this blog going. (Alternate methods: Please send a check to: Dan Woog, 301 Post Road East, Westport, CT 06880. Or use Venmo: @DanWoog06880. Or Zelle: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!)
SUBSCRIBE TO '06880' BY EMAIL -- IT'S FREE!
SEARCH THE “06880” ARCHIVES
- Diane Johnson on Westport Softball Honors “Ax”
- Tom Wall on Westport Softball Honors “Ax”
- Lou Mall on Westport Softball Honors “Ax”
- Jack Backiel on [CLARIFICATION] P&Z: No Full Basements In Flood Zones; Piers, Pilings Remain Only Options
- David J. Loffredo on Westport Softball Honors “Ax”
- [CLARIFICATION] P&Z: No Full Basements In Flood Zones; Piers, Pilings Remain Only Options
- Flood Zone Change: Full Basements Instead Of Piers And Pilings?
- Westport Softball Honors “Ax”
- Roundup: Henry Wynne, Pops Concert, Teacher Of The Year …
- 0*6*Art*Art*0 — Week 65 Gallery
- Giving Back, Saving Lives
- Pics Of The Day #1522
- Police: Update On Tragic Murder-Suicide
- Friday Flashback #249
- Roundup: Senior Center, Morningside South, Joey’s Delivery …
Bored? Wander through ‘06880’
- Friday Flashback
- Local business
- Local politics
- Looking back
- Photo Challenge
- Pic of the Day
- Real estate
- Staples HS
- Street Spotlight
- Totally random
- Unsung Heroes
- Westport Country Playhouse
- Westport life
DISCLAIMERThis blog is personal opinion, and is not representative of the views of the Westport School District or Board of Education.
Tag Archives: political yard signs
It’s the holiday season. Many Westporters hang wreaths on their doors. They string lights on trees or fences. Some place candles in every window.
Well, it’s also impeachment season. One Westporter has let his views be known. He lives at #1 High Point Road — the very first house, on the longest cul-de-sac in town. A neighbor writes:
Typically, this house displays a “God Bless President Trump” banner. Recently a new one was added: “Merry Christmas from President Trump.”
The banners are an eyesore but harmless. The most recent one is offensive.
It says “Democrats, impeach this” — with an arrow pointing to a hand displaying the middle finger.
I drive past it no less than 6 times a day with my children. A neighbor has already talked to Town Hall. Their response was, “this is a civil matter. There is nothing that we can do.”
I know. It’s freedom of speech. But this has crossed over into being inappropriate and offensive.
“06880” wants to know: What do Westporters think? We all recognize and appreciate the First Amendment. Where does it intersect with neighborhood life? Is this actually inappropriate — or just aggravating, because the homeowner’s politics differ from his neighbor’s? Is the middle finger truly offensive, in this day and age? Westporters already display yard signs during election season — is this a valid extension of that, or somehow beyond the bounds of neighborly norms?
Feel free to weigh in on those questions. Please be civil, and do NOT veer into a discussion of the pros and cons of the impeachment issue itself — that’s not what this post is about. Comments not addressing the “neighborhood” issue above will be removed. And remember: All “06880” commenters must use full, real names. Thank you!