Please support “06880” — thanks!
Click here to help support “06880” via credit card or PayPal. Any amount is welcome, appreciated — and tax-deductible! Reader contributions keep this blog going. (Alternate methods: Please send a check to “06880”: PO Box 744, Westport, CT 06881. Or use Venmo: @blog06880. Or Zelle: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!)
SUBSCRIBE TO '06880' BY EMAIL -- IT'S FREE!Join 12,873 other subscribers
SEARCH THE “06880” ARCHIVES
- Laura Columbo-Strauss on “06880 On The Go”: The Worst Intersections In Westport
- Mark Yurkiw on “06880 On The Go”: The Worst Intersections In Westport
- Stephanie Bass on “06880 On The Go”: The Worst Intersections In Westport
- Tom Feeley on Memorial Day Parade: The Route, The Marchers, The Full Drill
- Dan Woog on “06880 On The Go”: The Worst Intersections In Westport
- “06880 On The Go”: The Worst Intersections In Westport
- Photo Challenge #439
- Roundup: Parade Photos And Floats, Playhouse Plaque …
- Memorial Day Parade: The Route, The Marchers, The Full Drill
- Pics Of The Day #2231
- Oystercatcher Alert: Save Our Beach Birds!
- Roundup: AI, Free Haircuts, Change For Lyman …
- Online Art Gallery #162
- A Familiar Lament
- Pics Of The Day #2230
Bored? Wander through ‘06880’
- Friday Flashback
- Local business
- Local politics
- Looking back
- Photo Challenge
- Pic of the Day
- Question Box
- Real estate
- Staples HS
- Street Spotlight
- Totally random
- Unsung Heroes
- Westport Country Playhouse
- Westport life
- Celebrate Westport (town calendar)
- Dan Woog.com
- Finding Westport
- MoCA Westport
- Our Town Crier
- Photography in my Life (Katherine Hooper)
- Preserve Westport
- Prill Boyle’s Defying Gravity
- Westport Journal
- Westport Local Press
- Westport News
- Westport Weston Chamber of Commerce
Tag Archives: political yard signs
Pic Of The Day #1039
Posted in Pic of the Day, Politics
Tagged Mike Bloomberg, political yard signs
What Would Mr. Rogers Think?
It’s the holiday season. Many Westporters hang wreaths on their doors. They string lights on trees or fences. Some place candles in every window.
Well, it’s also impeachment season. One Westporter has let his views be known. He lives at #1 High Point Road — the very first house, on the longest cul-de-sac in town. A neighbor writes:
Typically, this house displays a “God Bless President Trump” banner. Recently a new one was added: “Merry Christmas from President Trump.”
The banners are an eyesore but harmless. The most recent one is offensive.
It says “Democrats, impeach this” — with an arrow pointing to a hand displaying the middle finger.
I drive past it no less than 6 times a day with my children. A neighbor has already talked to Town Hall. Their response was, “this is a civil matter. There is nothing that we can do.”
I know. It’s freedom of speech. But this has crossed over into being inappropriate and offensive.
“06880” wants to know: What do Westporters think? We all recognize and appreciate the First Amendment. Where does it intersect with neighborhood life? Is this actually inappropriate — or just aggravating, because the homeowner’s politics differ from his neighbor’s? Is the middle finger truly offensive, in this day and age? Westporters already display yard signs during election season — is this a valid extension of that, or somehow beyond the bounds of neighborly norms?
Feel free to weigh in on those questions. Please be civil, and do NOT veer into a discussion of the pros and cons of the impeachment issue itself — that’s not what this post is about. Comments not addressing the “neighborhood” issue above will be removed. And remember: All “06880” commenters must use full, real names. Thank you!
Posted in Politics, Westport life
Tagged High Point Road, political yard signs, Trump impeachment