With the hottest temperatures of the year predicted for this weekend — and heat indexes well over 100 degrees — the Westport Fire Department sends this alert:
The Town of Westport reminds residents of health and safety measures to protect against heat-related illnesses, and to take special care of young children, seniors and other at-risk populations:
- Find air conditioning, if possible
- Check on family members and neighbors
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Avoid strenuous activities
- Watch for heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke
- Never leave people or pets in a closed car
- Watch for heat illness
- Wear light clothing.
The following cooling centers are open to the public this weekend:
- The Senior Center, 21 Imperial Avenue (Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Westport Library, 20 Jesup Road (Friday 9 a.m. to 6 6 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday, 1 to 5 p.m.
- Westport Weston Family Y, 14 Allen Raymond Lane, lobby open to public (Friday 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday 7 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.; Sunday 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.).
The Fire Department will update their Facebook page with new openings and/or changes.
Click here for a link to the 2-1-1 “Extreme Heat Protocols” website.