Today, I am finally a teenager.
Well, my “06880” blog is, anyway. It’s 13 years old — and, since that first story back in 2009, I have not missed a day of posting. That’s over 14,000 stories, on everything from COVID, trees and hurricanes to Unsung Heroes, Pics of the Day and entitled drivers.
I couldn’t do it without you. Which is why today, I ask for your help.
I’m honored to publish “06880.” I love telling our town’s stories; shining a light on the men, women, children, institutions, businesses and history that make us who we are; creating a sense of community for newcomers, oldtimers, ex-pats and anyone else who ever wandered through this fascinating place.
But those stories don’t magically land in your inbox, or on this site.
I conduct interviews and research. I take, find and edit photos. I moderate the comments (140,000 now, and counting). I answer every email.
All that takes 6 to 8 hours a day. So on this one day, I hope you’ll give back.
If you like what you read, please consider supporting “06880. Click here for details (via credit card, Venmo, check or PayPal) — or scroll to the bottom.
Am I worth $1 a month? $5 a week? Perhaps (my choice!) $1 a day. Choose whatever amount you’re comfortable with. It’s greatly appreciated!
I hope that if “06880” has ever:
- Made you laugh, cry, think or wonder
- Spurred you to attend an event, read book, try a restaurant or patronize a store
- Help you meet a neighbor or stranger, or connect with a friend
- Kept you up to date on a blizzard, hurricane, windstorm or power outage
- Connected you to your new home town (or the place you grew up in)
- Alerted you to a new housing or zoning development
- Provided a forum to rant about an issue, rave about a place, or complain about me
- Galvanized you to support a cause
- Publicized your event, book, appearance or concert
- Published your photo
- Honored someone you loved or admired
- Saved you time or money
- Opened a window on Westport’s history, helped you think about its future, or made you look at someone or something in a new way
- Inspired you
- Made you say “Wow!” (or “Holy F—!”)
you will consider tossing something my way.
Thanks for 13 great years. (How many teenagers say that?!) I’ll keep doing what I do (unless no one contributes). I’ll still answer every email.
That’s the “06880” way. I look forward to the coming year with excitement, gratitude and joy.
PS: While “06880” is now a non-profit — allowing us to sponsor events like the Holiday Stroll, educational workshops and more — our tax-exempt status has not yet been approved. When (and if) it is, it may be applied retroactively.
PPS: “06880” has 12,000 daily (free!) subscribers. Another 6,000 to 8,000 readers check in each day, without subscribing. I love you all. But only a small percentage contribute. I’m just sayin’…
You can donate by PayPal or credit card: click here. It’s easy, safe — and you don’t even need a PayPal account.
Checks can be mailed to “06880”: PO Box 744, Westport, CT 06881.
I’m also on Venmo: @blog06880
You can even scan this QR code: