Fran White is a longtime, beloved — and now former — Westporter.
As she left, the loyal “06880” reader asked me to convey a few thoughts to the community. She wrote:
The day we left Westport for a new home in southern Vermont, Elizabeth Bernstein wrote in the Wall Street Journal that one can be awed by nature, but also by people.
For the 6 months we prepared for the move, we were awed by and grateful to:
- The staffs of Goodwill and the transfer station, whose good humor and patience always greeted our numerous trips to divest ourselves of too much stuff
- Tom Kashetta, for responding promptly and cheerfully to any crisis involving trees
- Grapevine, Fortuna’s, Stiles, and Genee and Jess of Herbaceous Catering. for providing sustenance
- Nelson and Don at UPS, for expertly packing and sending box after box
- Aela, Griffin and Sienna, who are revitalizing our neighborhood
- Most of all to my two best friends, Cia and MarySue, who provided love, support and encouragement the whole way through (and still do).
Thanks too to Chris for giving us the time and space we needed. and to Rob and Amanda. We hope that the new residents treasure all that Westport offers, including its greatest asset: its people.