If you’re a typical Westporter, you’ve got stuff lying around your house.
You know: basic hazardous waste.
If you’d like to get rid of it 🙂 but have no idea how or where: Read on.
On Saturday, September 21, 2019, the Public Works Department holds its annual Household Hazardous Waste Day. The time is 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; the site is the Westport/Weston Health District, 180 Bayberry Lane.
Better yet: It’s free.
As a regional program, it’s also open to residents of Weston, Wilton, Norwalk, New Canaan, Darien, Stamford and Greenwich.
Many items used around the house are considered household hazardous wastes, because they may contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable or reactive ingredients. For example, check your:
Garage: Gasoline, kerosene, mineral spirits, spray paint, paint strippers, paint thinners, solvents, stains, turpentine, varnishes, wood preservatives, degreasers, etc. NOTE: All paints, stains, motor oil, antifreeze, batteries and light bulbs must be recycled at the transfer station (see below).
Garden shed: Fertilizers, fungicides, herbicides, insecticides, pesticides, etc.
General household: Bleach, charcoal lighter, cleaning chemicals, drain cleaners, flammable liquids, mercury thermometers, moth balls, pet flea shampoos, rug shampoos, spot removers, art supplies and paints, etc.
Before bringing hazardous household items to the collection site:
- Make sure items are clearly labeled. NEVER MIX CHEMICALS. Incompatible products may react, ignite or explode, and mixed waste may become not be recyclable.
- Keep products in original labeled container.
- Place leaky containers in clear plastic bags.
- Tighten lids of all containers, and pack items in sturdy cardboard boxes lined with newspaper.
- Put boxes in the trunk or in the back of the vehicle away from passengers.
- Leave pets and children home when bringing hazardous materials for collection.
- Keep your windows open and drive directly to the collection site.
- Do not smoke or eat while handling hazardous materials.
REMEMBER: Paint cannot be accepted. Westport residents should bring latex and oil-based paints, primer, stain, sealer, varnish and shellac to the Westport transfer station (Sherwood Island Connector, weekdays, 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; Saturdays, 7 am to 12 noon).
The following items are also not acceptable at Household Hazardous Waste Day: ammunition, flares, and commercial hazardous waste 😦
Questions? Call the Public Works Department: 203-341-1793.