The other day, “06880” introduced a new feature. Registered dietician Heather Bauer will offer tips on the best, healthiest dishes to order at local restaurants.
Her first trip is to Bartaco. Yes, Heather says, it’s quite possible to join friends at the very popular Mexican place on the river, and eat quite well. Here’s how:
Small guac, and either salsa roja or salsa verde. Skip the chips; order a few sides of raw veggies (no charge for extra veggies). Save your carbs for your cocktail or entree.
Entrees for fish lovers (choose one)
● Chopped salad. Hold the tortilla chips; add grilled swordfish (you can use shrimp as alternative to swordfish — but note: It is soaked in buttermilk).
● 2 tuna tatako tacos wrapped in Bibb lettuce.
● 1 tuna tatako taco wrapped in Bibb lettuce, and 1 baja taco wrapped in lettuce. (Note: The fish is fried, but the portion is small — only 150 calories — so it is fine paired with tuna tatako).
● Tuna poke (optional change: order without fried ginger).
Entrees for Meat Lovers (choose one)
● 2 carne asada tacos wrapped in Bibb lettuce.
● 1 carne asada taco wrapped in Bibb lettuce, and 2 chicken chorizo tacos wrapped in Bibb lettuce.
● Roasted chicken.
● Chopped salad; hold the chips, and add roasted chicken. Ask for double chicken, if hungry.
Entrees for Vegetarians (choose one)
● Greens and grains (a new addition to the menu). The quinoa is the protein, so no substitutions are needed.
● Chopped salad; hold the tortilla chips. Vegans: skip the queso, and ask for extra avocado.
● Cauliflower taco wrapped in Bibb lettuce, and portobello taco wrapped in Bibb lettuce (vegans: skip the queso).
● Spicy cucumber salad (only 70 calories!)
● Asian slaw (50 cals!)
● Kids’ side of avocado
● Bartaco skinny margarita. They use their house tequila (Libelula) without the agave, to save you on the sugar.
● Nojito: non-alcoholic, only 60 calories
Bonus dining tip from Heather
● Women: Wear tighter-fitting clothes to dinner. Men: Tighten your belt buckle. Both serve as a gentle reminder not to overeat.