As the Library races toward the June 23 grand opening of its Transformation Project — a full-throated, very cool reimagining of the space — this is a good time to remind Westporters that the current location between the Levitt Pavilion and Taylor Place is not its original home.
It was built in 1908, on the corner of the Post Road (then called State Street) and Main Street. Its original name was the Morris K. Jesup Memorial Library. He died just 4 months before its dedication, after donating both the land and $5,000 for construction.
It included a very quiet reading room.
An addition in the 1950s — around the time Parker Harding Plaza was built — accommodated the booming demands of post-war Westport.
The “new” library may not have worked particularly well at its current site — the former town dump — where it moved in 1986.
But the third time’s the charm. The “new new” one will blow you away.
Morris Jesup would be very proud.