Staples High School students take a heavy course load. Local graduation requirements are even more onerous than state ones.
Yet our teenagers also participate in clubs; play music and sports; act; volunteer in the community, and hold jobs.
Somehow, some of them even find time to create jewelry, clothing, artwork, greeting cards and more.
This Saturday (June 9, 12 noon to 4 p.m., Bedford Square), the public gets a chance to see some of their most creative work.
And buy it.
The Westport Youth Commission is sponsoring the 2nd annual Student Creation Market.
Here’s some of what you’ll find among the dozen businesses:
- Hillary O’Neill’s unique, hand-made terrariums (Pebbles + Posies)
- Zoe Barnett and Kai Dasbach’s beaded and woven necklaces, rings and bracelets
- Kayla Bilotti and Tabby Burke’s hand-painted jeans jackets
Two alumnae from last year’s market are back too:
- Channing Smith’s custom college logowear
- Marta Clanton’s custom crochet products.
There’s entertainment too. It’s a special event — one day only.
Because when it’s over, our teenagers go back to work.