Please support “06880” — thanks!
Click here to help support “06880” via credit card or PayPal. Any amount is welcome, appreciated — and tax-deductible! Reader contributions keep this blog going. (Alternate methods: Please send a check to “06880”: PO Box 744, Westport, CT 06881. Or use Venmo: @blog06880. Or Zelle: email@example.com. Thanks!)
SUBSCRIBE TO '06880' BY EMAIL -- IT'S FREE!
SEARCH THE “06880” ARCHIVES
- Andrew Colabella on New For 2022. Next Year We Will See Dozens More.
- Dave Eason on New For 2022. Next Year We Will See Dozens More.
- Arline Gertzoff on “Nobody Goes There Anymore. It’s Too Crowded.”
- maryschmerker on Baron’s South Committee: Golden Shadows Needs Work
- barbara Ryan on “Nobody Goes There Anymore. It’s Too Crowded.”
- Pic Of The Day #1900
- New For 2022. Next Year We Will See Dozens More.
- “Nobody Goes There Anymore. It’s Too Crowded.”
- Roundup: Bad Bad Drivers, Burgers, Mandarin School …
- Ghosts Invade Compo Beach
- Baron’s South Committee: Golden Shadows Needs Work
- Pic Of The Day #1899
- Unsung Hero #244
- Roundup: Fireworks, Farmers’ Market, Falsettoland …
- Westport Country Playhouse: 91 Years Young Today
Bored? Wander through ‘06880’
- Friday Flashback
- Local business
- Local politics
- Looking back
- Photo Challenge
- Pic of the Day
- Question Box
- Real estate
- Staples HS
- Street Spotlight
- Totally random
- Unsung Heroes
- Westport Country Playhouse
- Westport life
DISCLAIMERThis blog is personal opinion, and is not representative of the views of the Westport School District or Board of Education.
Tag Archives: East Ferry Lane
Rain from Hurricane Elsa pounded Westport from the early morning hours until a few minutes ago.
The storm seems to have moved on — though lingering rain is still possible.
Meanwhile, here are some images from a wild morning:
Yesterday’s “Friday Flashback” — a 1914 postcard showing a gazebo on a rocky outcropping somewhere in Westport — unleashed a torrent of guesses about the site.
Several readers were sure it’s still standing. They say it’s at 29 East Ferry Lane — very visible to rowers, kayakers and boaters on the Saugatuck River.
Others are not so sure. They think it’s unlikely a rickety structure would survive 103 years of New England weather. They wonder whether the shape is the same.
Here’s the old image:
And a new one, taken from a different angle by Wendy Crowther:
Here’s another angle, taken by Marcella Lozyniak. She’s pretty certain it is not the gazebo in the postcard.
And this from Mary Gai:
You be the judge. Click “Comments” below.