Please support “06880” — thanks!
Click here to help support “06880” via credit card or PayPal. Any amount is welcome, appreciated — and tax-deductible! Reader contributions keep this blog going. (Alternate methods: Please send a check to “06880”: PO Box 744, Westport, CT 06881. Or use Venmo: @blog06880. Or Zelle: email@example.com. Thanks!)
SUBSCRIBE TO '06880' BY EMAIL -- IT'S FREE!Join 12,872 other subscribers
SEARCH THE “06880” ARCHIVES
- Susan Iseman on “06880 On The Go”: The Worst Intersections In Westport
- Sam Febbraio on Roundup: Parade Photos And Floats, Playhouse Plaque …
- Carl Addison Swanson, Wrecker, '66. on Photo Challenge #439
- Nancy Axthelm on Pic Of The Day #2232
- Lori Dodd on “06880 On The Go”: The Worst Intersections In Westport
- Memorial Day: We Remember
- Pic Of The Day #2232
- “06880 On The Go”: The Worst Intersections In Westport
- Photo Challenge #439
- Roundup: Parade Photos And Floats, Playhouse Plaque …
- Memorial Day Parade: The Route, The Marchers, The Full Drill
- Pics Of The Day #2231
- Oystercatcher Alert: Save Our Beach Birds!
- Roundup: AI, Free Haircuts, Change For Lyman …
- Online Art Gallery #162
Bored? Wander through ‘06880’
- Friday Flashback
- Local business
- Local politics
- Looking back
- Photo Challenge
- Pic of the Day
- Question Box
- Real estate
- Staples HS
- Street Spotlight
- Totally random
- Unsung Heroes
- Westport Country Playhouse
- Westport life
- Celebrate Westport (town calendar)
- Dan Woog.com
- Finding Westport
- MoCA Westport
- Our Town Crier
- Photography in my Life (Katherine Hooper)
- Preserve Westport
- Prill Boyle’s Defying Gravity
- Westport Journal
- Westport Local Press
- Westport News
- Westport Weston Chamber of Commerce
Pic Of The Day #2184
This entry was posted in Pic of the Day, Sports and tagged Doubleday Field, softball. Bookmark the permalink.
When //i was in little league baseball, playing at Gault Park or the original Bedford Elementary, the infield had grass, justice in the majors. Ir’ds ashamed today’s kidschave to play on all dirt infields.
That field is designed to be primarily a softball field. The LL baseball and HS baseball fields all have grass infields.
As my comment below indicates, I was confused on which field we are talking about. There was a grass infield diamond closer to Kings Highway in which we played Babe Ruth. The field in question was always a softball field and was situated very close to Saugatuck Elementary AKA Bedford Junior High AKA Staples High School. The gals played softball there.
Never knew this existed. What time do they play on Sundays? Anyone know? Is this just recreational or an “A” type game? Appreciate it. Thanks.
I would also love to know what time on Sundays – no idea this existed!!
I played there in 9th grade varsity (circa 1963 BJHS) and Babe Ruth (1961-1963) and it definitely had grass. I did not know softball fields are all dirt infields. Also played some games at Rogers Field which is where the Pavilion is now. It used to be the dump and if you dug your cleats in hard at home plate, a beer can would errupt from beneath. Fun times in the Wonder Years. We had fun, they seem to be more worried about a Division I ride these days?
Philip and Clyde (others?)
We start the games around 9am every Sunday, weather permitting, but arrive earlier to warm up and stretch.
It’s a pick up game so we just make teams each week depending on who shows. You guys are welcome to come play. Usually done by 11am.
The only requirements of EVERY player are to play for fun and be a decent person! No arguing calls, etc.