Just before noon, Eversource reported 784 Westport customers without power. That’s 6.18% of the town.
In Weston, 366 customers lacked electricity — 9.39% of the town.
Statewide, the total was 85,360 — 6.61% of all Connecticut customers.
Among the many trees down in today’s storm: an oak on Compo Road North. It was heavier than it looked, with all kinds of vines.
Roger Wolfe called his friend Terry Brannigan. He and his son Terry Jr. came right over, and took care of it.
“That’s the kind of people they are,” Roger says.
The Westport Office of Emergency management says:
Temperatures will quickly drop below freezing, and are expected to remain below freezing until Tuesday.
In the event of flash freezing, Fire Chief Michael Kronick says: “If you must travel, keep a flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency. Allow extra time as some roads may be icy and dangerous if untreated. Please do not drive around barricades or through waters of unknown depth.”
If you lose power to your home during freezing temperatures, follow these steps:
Notify Eversource of an outage: https://www.eversource.com/cg/customer/reportoutage
Now is the time to check your generators and charge your devices in the event of a power outage. Have a battery powered radio on hand.
Stay Safe! Never go near downed power lines including cable TV feeds. They may be live with deadly voltage.
Stay Warm! On top of dressing in layers and huddling under extra blankets, hang your darker ones on the windows to draw in heat. Keep doors and windows closed and use towels to block drafts around them. If necessary, move to your basement, which may be more insulated by the ground.
Never use charcoal grills or camp stoves indoors. Deaths have occurred when consumers burned charcoal or used camp stoves in enclosed spaces, which produced lethal levels of carbon monoxide.
Never use a generator inside a home, basement, shed or garage, even if doors and windows are open. Keep generators outside and far away from windows, doors, and vents. Read and follow instructions on the generator label and in the owner’s manual. Any electrical cables you use with the generator should be free of damage and suitable for outdoor use.
Use caution with candles. If possible, use flashlights instead. If you must use candles, do not burn them on or near anything that can catch fire. Never leave burning candles unattended. Extinguish candles when you leave the room.
Listen for updates. If you’re using a cellphone, choose texting over calling to keep phone lines free, or use your landline. Save 911 for emergencies.
Sign up for local EMERGENCY ALERTS: Text 06880 to 888777. Or sign up now at www.nixle.com