It’s a little-known fact, but Westport Volunteer Emergency Medical Services must purchase all their own supplies. They buy their own Band-Aids — and ambulances.
And this part has not gotten the publicity it deserves either: The Westport Woman’s Club has donated $300.000, to fund a new ambulance.
The gift includes $150,000 from the club’s Ruegg Legacy Fund, and $150,000 from an anonymous member.
The Westport Woman’s Club was founded over 100 years ago, to support charitable, educational, cultural and public health services in Westport and surrounding towns.
Among their early projects: cleaning our muddy, horse manure-filled town streets, planting trees and laying sidewalks.
In 1925 the Woman’s Club began a Visiting Nurse Service. They funded it for 35 years, before turning it over to the town.
Its initiatives included free dental, vaccination and well-child clinics; tuberculosis campaigns; free milk distribution, polio saliva tests, and lending sickroom equipment.
Now the Westport Woman’s Club has made another giant contribution to the health and well-being over our town.
Due to supply chain issues, it will take at least a year for our new ambulance to arrive. But when it does, it will be stationed next to the others at WVEMS headquarters — right across Deadman Brook from the Woman’s Club building on Imperial Avenue.
That’s where their Yankee Doodle Fair is held every year. It’s where their Curio Cottage operates too.
Both are major fundraisers for the WWC. Club members thank everyone for supporting the Fair and Cottage.
And we thank the Westport Woman’s Club — and its anonymous donor — for putting those funds to incredibly good use.