We think of the Post Road (Ruth Steinkraus Cohen) Bridge as having been there forever.
It has been — at least since colonial times.
But it hasn’t always been the same bridge.
Here’s what it looked like in 1946.
It was narrower than the present span. There was a guardhouse-type structure — perhaps a remnant of when it actually was a toll bridge, centuries earlier.
But the most intriguing aspect of this photo — taken from the Taylor parking lot near what is now the library Riverwalk, looking upriver — is the water on the right.
This shot was taken several years before Parker Harding Plaza was created. That’s now the parking lot behind Main Street stores. In 1946, the Saugatuck River ran right up to the backs of those shops.
And the sewer pumps from some of them emptied directly into the river.