“06880” has published some quite interesting back-in-the-day Compo Beach photos.
But this one is truly remarkable.
Posted first to social media by Paul Ehrismann, this 1912 photo shows:
- One set of bathhouses, before more were added. (They were torn down in the 1960s).
- The 2-story pavilion behind it. As noted last month, there was dining on the top floor. When the structure was damaged in a storm, the roof was salvaged. It now covers the open-air pavilion between the playground and volleyball courts.
- A long ramp leading down to the water. It was needed, because …
- … the beach itself was filled with rocks and grass. Rocks remained through the 1950s.
- The seawall along Soundview Drive was much higher than today. More than a century of storms has added several feet to the beach.
- As for Soundview itself, this scene predates the construction of most beach houses. They were built — sometime after 1912 — as summer cottages. Winterization came later. Still, for many years, they were modest homes. Today — well, you check on Zillow.
(Compo Beach has changed. “06880” has not. We’ve always been reader-supported. Please click here to help.)