This is Staff Appreciation Week at Staples. Adopting the school’s mantra — “think outside the box” — the PTA is moving beyond the usual parental thank-you luncheon.
Last week, PTA members manned womanned a table in the library. They invited students to write a few words of appreciation to any adult at Staples — anyone at all. Teachers, administrators, coaches, substitutes, nurses, custodians, secretaries, cafeteria workers, librarians, counselors, paraprofessionals, counselors, pyschologists, bus drivers — whoever impacted their lives was fine.
It was a gamble — but it paid off. Students lined up to share their thoughts on several hundred colorful apple-shaped Post-Its (“an apple for the teacher” — get it?).
Their words were heartfelt, and spanned the entire spectrum of the school:
- There is no band teacher I’d rather have than Mr. M.
- Ms. James, thanks for teaching us to love math!
- To all the custodians: You guys are fantastic. Thanks for keeping our school clean.
- Geraghty — you’re the man!
- Señor B es el hombre! (The same exact sentiment as for Dan Geraghty, this time in Spanish)
- Mr. Dodig, thanks for thinking about the students. It does wonders.
- Mrs. Honeycutt, you rock my world!
- Addicks — you truly are the best. Staples wouldn’t be the same without you.
- Your the best English teacher. (Hey, it’s the thought that counts.)
- To everyone at Staples: You are awesome.
And my personal favorite:
- Staples ♥ Woog
The “apples” will be posted on the library walls all week long — throughout Staff Appreciation Week.
Parents: You have no idea what your kids are doing when you’re not watching.
Odds are, it’s something nice.