Both of which — as alert readers know — have very strong Westport ties.
That’s the thing about “06880”: You never know what you’re going to get. But whatever it is, there will be some connection to this town.
When I hurled my 1st post into cyberspace in 2009 — click here for that baby — I had no idea what I was getting myself into.
I thought I’d offer some moderately interesting stories about the people, places, events and history that make this town our home. My goal was 1 post a day.
I had no idea — even though my tagline was “Where Westport meets the world” — that I would find connections everywhere: from Broadway to the Boston Marathon bombings, from Saugatuck to Syria.
I had no idea either that so many talented, accomplished people could suck so bad at parking. I did not realize that — right here at home — so many amazing people are doing such amazing things. Children, teenagers, busy businesspeople, retirees, merchants, volunteers — this town rocks the universe.
That 1 post a day is now, sometimes, 4 or 5. In 6 years, I’ve posted more than 4,200 stories. You’ve read this far, so I’m guessing you like at least some of them.
For me, “06880” is a labor of love.
But like any love, it takes work.
As “06880” has grown, so have the hours I spend on it.
There’s writing, sure. But also interviewing, researching, responding to comments (public and private), moderating comments (removing those from people who do not use full, real names), taking and sizing and framing photos, and scouring the web for appropriate (and occasionally inappropriate) graphics.
I spend a few bucks too. I pay to keep “06880” ad-free. I pay for domain mapping. I pay for photo-editing software.
So, once a year — on my anniversary — I put out my tin cup.
If you like what you read, please consider supporting “06880.”
Am I worth $1 a month? $1 a week? Perhaps (my choice!) $1 a day.
If my 4,200 stories are worth a penny each, that’s $42. If half of them are worth a dime each, that’s $210. I’ll leave other calculations to you.
I hope that if “06880” has ever
- made you laugh, cry, think or wonder
- spurred you to go to an event, read a book, try a restaurant or patronize a store
- kept you up to date in a blizzard, hurricane, windstorm or power outage
- alerted you to a new housing or zoning development in town
- delivered news about a favorite person or store
- galvanized you to support a cause
- helped publicize your event, book, appearance or concert
- published your photo
- paid tribute to someone you loved or admired
- connected you to your hometown from many miles away
- opened a window on Westport’s history, helped you think about its future, introduced you to someone in town you never knew, or helped you look at someone or someplace in a new way
- given you a voice in the “Comments” section
- inspired you
- made you sit up and say “Wow!” (or “holy f—!”)
— you will consider tossing something my way.
Thanks for 6 great years. I’ll keep doing what I’m doing, whether anyone sends an anniversary gift or not.
We’ll still have our now-annual summer “06880” party at the beach. Plus the weekly photo challenge.
But hey. You tip a taxi driver you don’t even know for a 5-minute ride, right?
You can donate by PayPal: click here. It’s easy (and safe)! You don’t even need a PayPal account. If you get an error message, try www.paypal.com; then log in, create an account, or send money from the drop-down menu by entering this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or click the “Donate” button on the home page of “06880.”
Checks may be mailed to: Dan Woog, 301 Post Road East, Westport, CT 06880. Put “06880″ on the memo line. It won’t do anything for the IRS, but it may help you remember at tax time why you sent me something.